Saturday, July 16, 2011

Fun at Azure and a Weird Al siting

IMG_3801.jpgHere's Dan and his stellar subs for the evening  - Dave Restivo on piano and Duncan Hopkins on bass...later Lee Wallace subbed for Dave - who had a gig with Vaughn Misener over at the Rex...As a special treat - Weird Al Yankovic's keyboard player Ruben Valtierra - I have scored tickets for the gig tonight at Massey Hall...Woo hoo! I have been a fan of Weird Al's since I heard his early work on the Doctor Demento show...."Another One Rides the Bus" (aka Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust").

Ruben let loose on Horace Silver's "Song for My Father"...

IMG_0264.jpg
There was also a young fan of the music - I believe her name was Sienna....she was quite the fashion plate - she even had matching turquoise Crocs....she certainly enjoyed moving and grooving to the tunes...
IMG_8712.jpg
I'll let you know how the Weird Al concert works out...should be good. I think in every band with popular artists there lurks a secret jazz musician or two...saw him in the lobby on the way to the elevator...

By the way if you happen to be or live in Mississauga, Dan Bodanis let me know about a new jazz gig - solo piano on Wednesday's starting at 5:30 - it's a lovely Italian restaurant/bakery called Artisano's  - check it out - Dave Restivo is usually pianist in residence with Bernie Senensky subbing in this coming week. They have a "Pasta Bar" which is I think a buffet....magnifico! As always great jazz and food go together...(it's close to where I used to live). Sounds like a great idea for the after work crowd.

www.artisanobakery.com, 3145 Dundas Street West (.at Winston Churchill Road)  Phone 905 607 1990

Dan assures me the menu is very yummy, especially the bread and baked goods and I certainly trust Dan when it comes to food...

No comments: