Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Raw, Quick and Delicious


Doug McNish does it again! Another wonderful raw food "cookbook" - this time super fast and easy - not to mention of course, delicious!

Above is the Spaghetti and Seed Balls - raw zucchini noodles, a marinara sauce and sunflower seed based "meatballs". A scrumptious late summer treat as we are having a steady harvest of zucchini!

To the right are the incredibly rich tasting Almond Bliss Balls and so aptly named - you will be in a state of bliss after eating them. I added my own touch my rolling a few in cocoa powder. I did find the seed ball mix a little crumbly - maybe not blending the seeds as much as I needed or using a not smooth enough almond butter..I confess I added a little water to hold them together.

So far, these are the two I have tried - would love to try out his Red Velvet Smoothie, one of the many juices - a Citrus Pineapple Carrot  or Apple, Blueberry and Cabbage  - how's that for a flavour combination? There are lovely looking salads of course Lemony Wilted Kale and Beet, Watermelon and Cashew, Grapefruit and Arugula. Main courses include Carrot Pad Thai and Cashew Almond Gnocchi, Squash Burritos and on and on.

It's filled with mouth watering photos and includes recipes for anything from sauces,smoothies, sides and salads to desserts, breakfast to dinner. I think you'll find it a worthy addition to your cookbook collection!

P.S. Doug had a packed house for his cooking demos at the Toronto Vegetarian Food Festival recently - he is getting quite the reputation. It was standing room only - so I decided to let someone else have my sample - if there were any left!

The book is published by Robert Rose Publishing and available where good books are sold - and also at the TVA Resource Centre on Baldwin Street.

No comments: