Saturday, June 20, 2009

Shalom!

I went to synagogue this morning to honour my dear friend Judy celebrating or I think sometimes dreading her 7th decade...I aspire to have her energy, style and enthusiasm when I arrive at ---. (Can't print it). She commissioned a choral piece that was performed in the service. A cute young man was also having his Bar Mitvah today - Isaac - Mazel Tov! Although I didn't understand much of anything (being both brought up as a Protestant and not knowing Hebrew) I found everything incredibly moving....there was a lot of music. And afterwards of course, a little nosh..including cake for the birthday girl... I was enveloped in the hypnotic chanting and felt grateful to be part of the experience. It brings home to me more than ever how we need to only be aware of those around us, accept and love.

No comments: