Monday, September 8, 2008

Youssou N'Dour and Veg Food Fair

That blurry white image on stage is Yossou N'Dour, Senegalese performer and activist. He was performing at Yonge Dundas square on Friday night for free. There was a documentary being screened at the TIFF (Toronto International Film Festival) called "What I Bring is Love" about him. After standing around on concrete for about an hour punctuated by a run to Starbucks for a Pumpkin Spice Latte, my friend Lorraine and I didn't last very long into the show...oh well.
I am still figuring out my tiny Canon camera, it's a Powershot SD 600...
And now onto the next event...The Veg Food Fair..our 24th annual. I volunteered at the cooking demo and volunteer check in...here are some images below....
This is the World Cafe, where you can nosh on all kinds of yummy veg food from local restaurants and caterers...Caribbean, Asian and Indian food and great pizza and Italian from Magic Oven (a local gourmet pizza chain). I had some great stuff from Green Earth on Broadview...very convincing soy chicken...amost scary...
Here are some of the many booths selling veg food, animal friendly products like clothing and shoes, advocacy groups like Farm Sanctuary,
As you can see Harbourfront is a lovely area, the booths are along a quay and there are numerous boats docked in the little harbour next to it...
Lake Ontario is behind me...
Here are some of our TVA volunteers (we had 3 separate booths) informing people about the veg lifestyle, answering questions and trying to sell memberships, get people to sign up for the Veggie Challenge - that's going veg or vegan for 3 weeks....
And here is Siue Moffat, author of "Licking the Beaters" a cookbook of Low Fat Vegan Desserts...which of course I bought, since it had the word desserts in it....
I was also assisting in this area...my favourite volunteer job because you get to meet the authors and sample the goods!
Nettie Cronish did the first demo I was at and then Rose Vasile who has a website http://www.rawrose.com/ attracted a great crowd for her raw food workshop...she made a banana lemon pie...and yes, I bought her cookbook too...I do a lot of book shopping at the fair because the selection is so great AND the money goes to the TVA!!

No comments: