Friday, January 22, 2010

Beautiful Barbados...

After a 2 hour delay (found out when reaching Pearson) finally made it to Barbados - coming in over the island I could see the lovely turquoise water. We were picked up at the airport by one R. C. or Richard Daniel of Neptune Tours gave us the spiel and had a great sense of humour - his brother is a vegetarian. This boardwalk is across the street from the pink palace as I like to call it - or Santa Neta Apartments - operated by the lovely Sandie who has another property nearby called Rosebank - also pink...a charming place and very conveniently located. I would highly recommend staying here - there is even a "pet" bird - well, he does like the cereal and ginger cookie bits I gave him - I'll post a photo of him/her later Now ensconced in the Pink Palace, but off to the See-U and Bathsheba on the East Coast. The south coast has been great though - the Hastings has lots of restaurants and shops. R.C. pointed out Big John's (a fast food spot - that is very close and yummy roti) also the Ackee Tree - again yummy roti, had a lovely dinner at Aspara - Indian food...hmmmm....can you tell I like curry? I am in heaven as I loooove roti! Thank you again to the Vegan Caribbean blog - invaluable.... Also, the Tri-Mart grocery about 20 minutes walk away has good selection - great mangoes and soy milk, cereal, etc. etc. Also had a meal at Eve's Garden - an impromptu veg meal - peas and rice, steamed veggies and salad - yesterday was Errol Barrow day, a national holiday, Eve's fortunately was open as a few places were closed - he is the first prime minister of Barbados. Thank goodness we checked out Bridgetown on Wednesday then - ate lunch at Jenns' - a health food store and restaurant - beans and rice and greens and a mango smoothie. Shouldn't have tried to walk out to Mount Gay Rum in my Payless Shoes though....still have blisters today....though the rum and tour was worth it - it's great stuff - got some Extra Old. Got a cab back to Hastings which was more sensible although the bus ride in was fine too at $1.50 - we were told to take blue and yellow or yellow and blue buses - though the numerous red and white vans looked fine too. Something I have noticed Barbados drivers are very polite, honking to alert pedestrians on narrow sidewalks! As for the ocean and beaches - I am proud to say I have been in the Caribbean a couple of times - wave jumping and swimming a little at Accra/Rockley Beach - which has a nice little shopping mall across the street as well as vendors next to the beach - I got a red sundress there...and there was a man selling coconuts - but I missed him....wonder if he put de lime in de coconut as the old tunes goes....one last beach visit tomorrow morning as I understand the water and current is too rough for swimming on the East Coast. Quayside Mall or Centre perhaps has a nice little Best of Barbados store and a Barbados version of Starbucks....Caffe Italia as well as a nice little gourmet food store - where you can get chocolate, jams, snacks etc. There is also a convenience store in the mall. Closer to our place, next to Opa is the Dolce Gelato - I enjoyed rum/raisin and vanilla soy ice cream amidst the chirping of what I call the French alarm frogs - they sound like emergency vehicles in French films...

Ginger beer - Drabbie's - Scottish and sooo good. Between that and the excellent rum, I see how easy it could be to fall into the all inclusive trap. There are a few vacant properties in the area - upscale veg restaurant anyone? Veg B and B?

Today was also a ride on a sub - Atlantis subs, "under the sea, under the sea"....I will post more photos in the days that come....

5 comments:

Unknown said...

enjoy your stay in Barbados...check also http://www.tropicalwindsbarbados.com... its a nice hotel in the South East coast of the island for your accommodation.

jazz goddess said...

Thank you! I will check that out for my next trip..:)

Nancy Fenn said...

This looks like heaven!

Merle said...

We are considering an Easter stay at Santa Neta. How long would you guess the walk would be from there to Accra Beach or Quayside? Thanks!

jazz goddess said...

Merle,

It was pretty close by..I would say 15 minutes walk max to Accra - we walked along the boardwalk to get there which was really nice..

Enjoy! It's beautiful.