Friday, October 10, 2008

Giving Thanks and Providing Sanctuary

Yes, it's time for Thanksgiving. I am in charge of dessert for the family dinner and as pictured have made a Carrot Pie on the left and a Pumpkin Pie.

My friend Richard swears by Carrot Pie, more orange and uses less sugar. We shall see which pie people will choose as I'm sure they're both yummy. Also as a topping, Cashew "Creem" made with raw cashews and all vegan....

Speaking of vegan...the Farm Sanctuary fundraiser at the Rivoli was fun last night. Lots of great raffle prizes and music. Yvette et al (our pet sitter) of tailblazers.ca did a wonderful job. Check out http://www.moove.ca/ which raises fund to help out abandoned neglected and abused animals also, Farm Sanctuary's website (http://www.farmsanctuary.org/) which " works to end cruelty to farm animals through rescue, promotes compassionate living through rescue, education and advocacy" (from their website). Both well worth your attention and support!!

Again, forgot my camera to take in visually the haunting vocals of the talented Miwa Gemini from New York and the energetic and captivating band from Vesta Varro. All acts waived their fees as part of the fundraiser and were previous winners of Indie Week in 2006 and 2007 respectively.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone. I am thankful for health, joy, love of friends and family, music, a peaceful country, being literate, being able to vote and speak my mind, enough to eat, a roof over my head and a sense of wonder and magic at what each new day will bring, and finally but not least laughter. I could go on endlessly with my list as I truly feel blessed.

No comments: