Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Veg Food Fair 2010

Another successful Food Fair - lots of info, lots of yummy eats - I was working at the Info table answering questions and giving out programs and the brand new Veg Directory for this year plus I got to assist at the cooking demo - "Iron Chef" competition between the very "hot" competitors - Howard Dubrovsky of L.A.B. and Doug McNish of Raw Aura .












Here they are in action - the secret ingredient was apples - Howard won with a lovely Israeli couscous concoction which featured sauteed mushrooms, apples, apples soaked in apple cider vinegar and a wonderful ingredient he referred to as "ground dates" - I believe they are "wild food" found in marshes - they taste like dates but have a marshmallow consistency.

We also had the pleasure of hosting one of the speakers - Jonathan Balcombe - raised in Toronto but now living in D.C. - he speaks to the emotional side of animals - his most recent book is called
Second Nature....
I encourage you to check it out.

In the meantime I sampled some delicious ice cream from "Coconut Bliss", ate cookies from "Sweets from the Earth", dined at Green Earth and Full Moon, among others...

I'm excited to be going to hear Kurt Elling on Thursday night and I should let you know that of course the "Old Mill" has an ongoing series of great musicians lined up for the fall and winter seasons....brrr...winter....haven't quite got my mind around the wearing socks and closed in shoes concept.

I also had a lovely time at the Taste of the Kingsway - which included shopping with my friend Victoria from Jazz FM - she is a bad influence, but in a good way for my fashion side...ha ha. Visited "Carriage Trade" and "Taissa" as well as "Sims O Nine" - getting a lovely purple frilly scarf, navy clogs and a black and white "rose" purse...photos to come....

More jazz later - provided the wrist holds up....

P.S. For better or worse I'm now on Twitter - so does that make me a twit? I'm reminded of the "Upper Class Twit of the Year" skit on Monty Python...:)

On a final note just finished reading the excellent novel "The Help"....couldn't put it down....

No comments: