Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Pee Wee, Century 21, the Morgan, the Frick and food.

If you work at Canada Customs read no further - I did some serious shopping at Century 21 both downtown and in Brooklyn - an adventurous subway ride out with Richard and Patti my roomies. The Brooklyn store is quieter, the downtown - near the WTC site - has more selection. 3 pairs of shoes - I'm just saying...

After a busy shopping day and a plum tea latte at Franchia - we later went out for Japanese food in Chelsea - prior to that we laid out our purchases on our beds - like shopping stalls - my stash paled in comparison I must say....

This morning an early trip to the Morgan, up to the V-Note on the Upper East Side for lunch - I will post photos of those - a nice little vegan spot on 1st avenue between 79th and 80th streets - white booths, darkl floors, lots of colourful pillows.  Then walking over to Madison to check out eyeglass frames at Chrome Hearts and ogle the windows of Ralph Lauren, Prada and Dior.

The Frick museum is captivating - the former abode of Henry Frick - steel magnate and former partner of the Carnegies - Gainsboroughs, Holbeins - it was interesting to see the portraits of the Thomas Cromwell and Thomas More since I am currently reading "Wolf Hall" - ornate furnishings...he apparently wanted to surround himself with art that was pleasing to look at every day....

After a walk through Central Park we headed to the Stephen Sondheim Theatre for the colourful extravaganza that was Pee Wee Herman's show (aka Paul Rubens) - great set - all the regulars were there - Chairy, Jambi, Miss Yvonne, Cowboy Carl......delightful. Apparently at new Pee Wee movie is in the works... Equally delightful was the meal at Tony di Napoli's place across the street - great basic Italian food - rigatoni with eggplant and one with vodka and tomatoes, an argula salad and some sangria plus yummy chewy bread.

Tomorrow is my last day so I will make it count......there is talk of the Shopsin's experience which I am to prepare myself for...

No comments: