Friday, October 15, 2010

Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee - Key to the Highway

We got to sing this last night at my first vocal workshop - "The Singer and the Song" with Bill King - there are about eight of us with varying levels of experience but now the fear has dissipated and I had an amazing time - lots of fun - everyone has a unique voice and take - for me this means everyone is special and Bill is a wonderful teacher and musician making everyone feel at ease...I am hoping to do either "Blame It on My Youth" or "Cry Me a River"....our group assignment for next week is "At Last" - I can assure Etta James she has nothing to worry about from me.  Darlene Stimson and Julie McGregor are the experienced ones and a lovely woman named Corena...I'm not sure I got that right - puts me in mind of Astrid Gilberto...

The great thing is that we are there to support each other and cheer each other on - emphasizing our particular gifts - I have already gotten praise - I blush....thank you Nancy, fellow neophyte - I apologize if I wasn't grateful - I assumed you were talking to Darlene...:)I have yet to introduce my song - Julie and Darlene did last night along with Corena - who chose the lovely "You Must Believe in Spring" - she appears to have a background in music...whereas I haven't read music since Festival Choir a few years back...

Bill has also related some of his experiences - assuring us that remembering lyrics is NOT easy - the big names even need help! I'm looking forward to next week's class.

In the meantime I leave you with the incredible Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee...

Bob Mintzer is at Humber College this evening with the faculty band - tickets are $20 at the door - reduced for students I believe. Also this weekend Cory Weeds is at the Rex for the late show both Saturday and Sunday.

No comments: