Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Cornucopia of Jazz

I've had a full plate of jazz these past few days - starting with Azure on Friday night - then Max Sennitt at Gate 403 followed on Saturday by my friend Ailsa McCreary's gig at Ten Feet Tall - in the audience were fellow vocalists Pat Murray and Whitney Ross-Barris. I overheard Pat planning an upcoming CD release...so look forward to that.

Ailsa had the support of Mark Kieswetter on keys and Rod West on trumpet - she sounded as silky as usual and had a great 40's siren vibe with her pageboy haircut.

Last night I checked out Jake Koffman's smokin' quartet at Gate 403 - featuring Mikko Holden on a beautiful green guitar and one of our upcoming "Jazzology" guests - Derek Gray on drums,  before heading off to the Old Mill and the Sound of Toronto concert with the Jazz FM Youth Band and guest Bucky Pizzarelli. Whew. I think there may be something in the genes there with Jake - his grandfather was the great Moe Koffman after all.

I will post a blog about the concert on the Jazz FM website and be back later with more of what's going on musically around town...I also need to practice "Crazy" a la Patsy Cline for my vocal workshop this week.

I have tried out a couple of new heated classes at my studio, CORE and have enjoyed the results - Hatha yoga both times and a Pilates flow.

No comments: