Sunday, June 27, 2010

Greetings from the War Zone

So much for Toronto the Good. I guess we can't say we are boring any more....would that we could.

Suffice to say it was eerie walking over to the Herbie Hancock concert - University devoid of vehicles, a line of police along King Street. I avoided Queen entirely due to burning police car and acts of vandalism/broken glass.

You could sense relief in the audience of those brave souls (and volunteers) who made it down to Nathan Phillips - thank you Herbie and Brandi for soothing us with music. Hopefully the David Sanborn/Joey D is less eventful tonight at Koerner....only in a musical sense should it be eventful....

I had to take a brief detour along the alley north of Queen just east of Spadina last night...well me a few other people  - then couldn't proceed south for a few minutes - Queen blocked off between Spadina and Bathurst - but I made it home safely - if I had wanted to get into a club on King Street I feel there would not have been a problem.

I still can't believe this is my city - predictable, peaceful Toronto. I am angry as are many, that some anarchists hijacked the largely peaceful protests - if you are so brave - why cover your faces - that shows you are cowards really. I guess I just don't get how destruction helps anyone...

Here's hoping cooler heads prevail today.

No comments: