Thursday, May 28, 2009

Jersey Boys

I ventured out of my neck of the woods (downtown) up to North York yesterday to take advantage of $20 rush seats for this Tony award winning show. I couldn't believe what a great seat I got for the price...row P. The box office person said it was likely because of the weather...
I wandered around indoors as much as possible, had lunch in a food court (Lebanese food) with eggplant, cauliflower, rice and lentils, hummous and tabouli. Initially I thought the server had put MEAT into my container so I opened it...causing concern. I was relieved it was just the eggplant. After a Green Tea Latte with Soy...a Grande Soy Green Tea Latte....I never get the order of the drink right...and reading my Wayne Dyer for inspiration it was showtime...
For a rainy day matinee it was still pretty crowded. Loved the show - I had forgotten how many hits the Four Seasons had to their credit. It's been a while since I've been to the Toronto Centre for the Performing Arts - last time in the big theatre was "Ragtime"...which was a loooong time ago.
I really enjoyed the show...my only complaint, as usual was the volume level - hence why I carry earplugs in all my purses/pockets.
Aaron MacKenzie made a wonderful Frankie Valli with great support from Grant Tilly as Tommy DeVito - the bad boy/wiseguy of the group. The cast was all quite good and of course, the music! "Sherry", "Big Girls Don't Cry" and "Walk Like a Man" and one of the best tunes ever (that almost didn't make it to a record) "Can't Take My Eyes Off of You".
The only sour note was a screechy version of "My Boyfriend's Back" by the ladies playing girl group The Angels...obviously they didn't listen to the laid back original...
A good way to spend a rainy afternoon, though. I hope to check out Terra Hazelton's CD release at the Rex on Saturday and even partake of the delectable (for mouth and ears) Bluegrass Brunch at the Dakota on Sunday.

No comments: