Monday, February 9, 2009

Farewell Sweet Blossom...

It was with great sadness that I learned one of my favourite vocalists, Blossom Dearie passed away. She was 82.
By mere chance I got the opportunity to hear her and her trio in the back of a restaurant called Danny's Seafood House. This was about 4 years ago and while perusing the jazz listings in the hotel room I wondered if Blossom was still alive then....lo and behold...there was her gig! I absolutely HAD to go...in addition to seeing David Strathairn in a play and hearing Kurt Elling at Birdland this was the cherry on top of my trip.
The tiny space was jam packed with fans and Ms. Dearie did not disappoint - I even got a photo with her and her to sign my CD. I can't find said photo...must scan it...
For me she did the defintive version of many songs including "Peel Me a Grape" (Dave Frishberg's sly little tune) and "I'm Hip" - Dave again, and you certainly were. They alwasy make me smile.
She also shared my dislike of the overrated Andrew Lloyd Weber...:)
Her sweet whispery voice and unique interpretations will be sorely missed. It was a wonderful serendipity that I got the chance to hear her live as she stopped performing in 2006.
In the words of one of her songs" I Like You, You're Nice"...

No comments: