Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Lady of Shalott by Holman Hunt

Love what they've done to the AGO. It's the first time I've been in since the renovation...I started at the 5th floor and took the winding staircase down - I got a lovely view out the windows at the same time.
Some cool contemporary art on display - liked the reclaimed TVs with their screens repainted and plugged in...I'm usually a much bigger fan of modern art - even the conceptual stuff is fun - it makes you think.
The reason I went tonight, other than it was free (every Wednesday after 6) and thus a long line...but plenty of room for everyone was the Holman Hunt exhibit. He was a major artist of the pre-Raphaelite movement and I love their stuff so colour saturated and beautiful, almost mystical, ethereal. Someone should design a tarot deck along those lines... They were kind of the "hippies" of their day and seemed to idolize the Renaissance school, using biblical themes as well as Arthurian for their works.
"The Lady of Shalott" an ode to Tennyson of whom Holman Hunt was very fond.
The image is courtesy of twelvecats from Flickr.
"Lady of Shalott"is also a great tune by Loreena McKennitt the wonderful Canadian singer/harpist who resembles a pre-Raphaelite subject herself.

2 comments:

Queen of Wands said...

zthat's something I would love to have gone to.

jazz goddess said...

I know you would! I was thinking of you...