Friday, February 6, 2009

Yesterday's guest Patrick Boyle

This was a first - I should have brought my camera! Patrick Boyle who is a trumpet/flugelhorn player at U of T in the doctoral program - actually wore a suit and tie...I was so impressed! Perhaps it's because he is from Newfoundland and those maritimers have a sense of what's proper/rising to the occasion. I couldn't wait to see Larry Green's reaction - he has expressed before that performers should treat gigs a little more seriously and sartoriarly (I think I just made up that word). Needless to say he was pleased with Mr. Boyle and the whole interview - he could talk with him for hours. I can't wait to hear the "Jazzology" - which should be airing next Thursday night at 9 p.m. It turns out Patrick knows another Newfoundlander at Jazz FM - the ebullient Heather Bambrick. Patrick started out playing guitar, then french horn in high school and now brass - although he says it doesn't seem attractive to women...we shall see...it seems to have worked fine for Miles Davis, Roy Hargrove and Chet Baker. Going over to U of T Arbor Room at Hart House tonight to hear "Blunt Object" - some U of T students playing the music of Carla Bley - I 've heard them before and I can tell you it's great! Tomorrow afternoon perhaps a little trad jazz at Grossman's Tavern and visiting Harlem to see Jen Sagar....funds permitting...

2 comments:

Queen of Wands said...

what do you think is the sexiest instrument for a guy to play? And yes please don't forget your camera. I would love to have seen this young man in suit an tie and the look on Larry's face. BTW does Larry dress "up" when he's out at gigs and where does the word "gig" come from>

jazz goddess said...

Hmmm...saxophone is pretty sexy...
Larry dresses up when he's emceeing or at more formal gigs - not usually at clubs...
As for gig...I must google that...