Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Tribute to Art Tatum

It's always a treat to hear Robi Botos and he was in fine form in the first half of this concert at the Old Mill...I can't say the same for our table service, however.
Breaking out with "I've Got Rhythm"he was matched in energy on solos from Reg Schwager on guitar and Neil Swainson on bass. They completely won me over with "My One and Only Love" one of my favourite tunes and segued that into "Honeysuckle Rose" the "On the Sunny Side of the Street" a good adage for these tough times.
I love watching Robi's face as he plays and interacts with other musicians - he's always having the best time.
The second half featured solo piano from noted international pianist Adam Makowicz. He opened with "Begin the Beguine" and then in honour of St. Patrick's a lovely "Danny Boy". Highlights included the poignant "Willow Weep for Me" and "Someone to watch over me" and Tatum's signature "Tea for Two".
Although he is technically very proficient there is a certain lack of warmth in his playing.
I am debating about going back for the other concert on March 30th - although I love Hoagy Carmichael...due to the lack of service and it's often surly....
Now, I must be positive...

2 comments:

Guillermo said...

Tremendooooooooooooooooo pianista.

Guille

Queen of Wands said...

OOK give it up, what happened with the service